PROUD TO BE A SYNDIAN!

THE SYNDIAN PAGEVIEWS

Saturday, April 30, 2011

ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMRITSAR!!!

The emotional connect with the Bank was always there. But, I could never visualize myself passing cheques, counting notes, preparing accounts etc. Therefore, I consider it a 'divine providence' that I am today a part of the Syndian Family.

I have mentioned on an earlier occasion, one of the prime reasons to accept the offer for appointment in SyndicateBank was the element of serendipity that only a pan-Indian Institution can present. The very fact that I was supposed to report to Manipal made me jump with joy. And you have seen earlier, how was it ONCE UPON A TIME IN MANIPAL!!! . In the same post, I promised a travelogue on Amritsar. Here it is!

I had heard stories, read texts and seen movies about the Jallianwala Bagh Massacre. And I can safely say, that every-time it filled my heart with rage against the brutal face of the Raj. Also as a student of Modern Indian Polity, I came across the operation Blue-Star at Golden Temple (now Harmandir Sahib) and its aftermath. I wanted to visit both these historical places. Posted at Phillaur (BIC: 8133), the heart of Doaba, Amritsar was 100-odd kilometers away. This was my chance. And I made the most of it along with my parents.
Here is a glimpse of what I witnessed. 

HARMANDIR SAHIB
Spot a head that is uncovered! The view of the main shrine. Also notice towards the right side of the image, a bee-line of devotees waiting for their tryst with almighty.




























































































The first thing that strikes you after you reach the precincts of Darbaar Sahib, is a palpable sense of peace despite the cacophony of a city bustling with pilgrims. There is a silent calm that overwhelms you as you near the shrine. And this is just the beginning! It is a date with divinity. The sewadaars (volunteers) serve with martial discipline, right from mopping the 'already-clean' floors to taking care of your shoes, offering you water for drinking and ablutions to ensuring that you have your head covered, maintaining sanity and order even as number of devotees keeps on burgeoning to serving masses in Guru da Langar (community kitchen). This is the spirit of Sikhism at display, this is the celebration of humanity, this is the practical exhibition of Granth Sahib.
I had a dip in the Sarovar followed by a darshan after a long wait in the serpentine queue of devotees and tourists. I think I kept on oscillating between the two extremes waiting for my turn. I have been all at different times: a believer, an atheist, an agnostic, a spiritual seeker. 
Those desirous of knowing more, can click here:  Harmandir Sahib .


JALLIANWALA BAGH

Brutality Bulleted.

Life-size artistic impression of April 13, 1919
All is not well.
Through an open window of the otherwise covered well (above)
The silence followed us as we traversed from the Golden Temple to Jallianwala. This was however a bit different. While at the Darbaar Sahib, it had a soothing effect on the battered souls; here at Jallianwala, the sound of silence was deafening and eerie. Just how could this happen? For the inquisitive soul: Jallianwala Bagh Massacre .

THE SYNDIAN FOOTNOTE

THE SYNDIAN invites fellow Syndians to contribute their own travel experiences afforded to them due to proximity to their place of posting or LFC/ LTC facility that the Institution provides. You can send your travelogue (preferably with photographs) to me at syndashish@gmail.com along with a brief profile about yourself. They shall find place in subsequent posts on THE SYNDIAN under the captioned label.
Till, the next time we converse:
Jai Hind! Jai Synd! 
Images Courtesy: My Phone
Links on Harmandir Sahib and Jallianwala Bagh: Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment

SyndicateBank
Your Faithful And Friendly Financial Partner Is Now Younger Than Ever!

THE SYNDIAN

My photo
'THE SYNDIAN' is a humble attempt to connect well with each other, with the customer, to register a presence in blogosphere, to prove that the faithful and friendly financial partner is now indeed younger than ever..... Of course it can emerge from a 'Pigmy' to a 'Giant' with cooperation from your side! I invite all the Syndians to become members, contribute articles, develop this initiative into a full-blown forum for discussion for banking, finance, personnel, marketing issues... Once it consolidates, we can integrate the same in our marketing efforts and use it as a potent tool to interact with the generation 'Z'!